FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
If you still have an unanswered question, speak to one of our international shipping specialists!
We are the leading international courier service that specializes in providing comprehensive door-to-door logistics.
Learn more about DHL Express and how we can be of service to you and your business.
Anyone can ship with us! We support all customers from personal shippers to large businesses.
You must open an account with a registered Singapore business with a UEN in order to be a DHL Express corporate account holder.
Account-holders will receive preferential DHL shipping rates, be the first to be notified of shipping promotions and have a dedicated account manager to support your shipping needs.
DHL Express does not serve the following countries:
- Bovet Island
- Indian Ocean Territory
- French Southern Territories
- Heard & Mcdonald Islands
- Saint Pierre & Miquelon
- Tristan Da Cunha
- US Minor Outlying Islands (Baker Island, Howland Island, Jarvis Island, Johnston Atoll, Kingman Reef, Midway Atoll, Palmyra Atoll, Wake Island)
- Western Sahara
Shipments cannot be delivered to PO boxes. Shipments are delivered to the receiver’s address given by shipper with a recipient name.
DHL is unable to carry the following items due to laws, regulations, or statues. The prohibition is enforced by any federal, state or local government where the shipment is sent to or from, or simply transiting through. For international carriage there may be additional prohibited items specified by the country of destination.
- All Samsung Galaxy Note7 and Samsung Note7 devices
- Bullion (of any precious metal)
- Cash (legal tender – bank notes, currency notes and coins)
- Complete firearms, ammunition, explosives/explosive devices including inert explosives and test pieces, air guns, replica and imitation firearms
- Human remains or ashes in any form
- Hunting (animal) trophies, animal parts such as ivory and shark’s fin, animal remains or ashes, or animal by-products and derived products not intended for human consumption, prohibited for movement by the CITES Convention and/or local law
- Illegal goods, such as counterfeit goods and narcotics
- Live animals (including but not limited to mammals, reptiles, fish, invertebrates, amphibians, birds, insects, larvae and pupae)
- Loose lithium metal batteries under IATA PI968 section II
- Loose precious and semi-precious stones (cut or uncut, polished or unpolished)
- It contains any other item which DHL decides cannot be carried safely or legally
If you want more information on what DHL Express can or cannot accept, or are unclear about a certain commodity, do not hesitate to contact our DHL Express hotline today!
The following items are classified as restricted cargo and will not be accepted unless otherwise agreed. DHL Express will need to conduct a viable business case and reach a mutual agreement that is to be recorded in writing to proceed.
- Air guns, tasers, imitation or replica firearms, firearm parts and replica ammunition (includes rifle butts, trigger mechanisms, screws/bolts etc. which are manufactured for the sole purpose of creating a functional firearm)
- Antiques and works of art with a shipment value in excess of EUR 500,000
- Banderols/Tax stickers with a shipment value in excess of EUR 500,000
- Cannabis for medicinal purposes from bona fide pharmaceutical manufacturers with appropriate licences and where lawful to ship, which must be in tablet or liquid form, may be carried with an approved business case. The value of one shipment must not exceed EUR 10,000
- Cigarettes, cigars, tobacco products and electronic cigarettes with a shipment value in excess of EUR 500,000
- Commemorative coins and medals with an individual value or total shipment value of EUR 2,000 or more are restricted for carriage
- Dangerous/hazardous goods including but not limited to perfumes, aftershaves, aerosols, flammable substances, dry ice, biological substances, UN classified dangerous goods and any goods specified as such under International Air Transport Association regulations (“IATA”), the Agreement on Dangerous Goods by Road (“ADR”) or International Maritime Dangerous Goods (“IMDG”) regulations. Applicable to all shipments valued in excess of EUR 500,000
- Financial and monetary commodities – examples include but are not limited to activated SIM cards for mobile phones, blank or activated credit or cash dispenser cards, blank cheques, event tickets, lottery tickets, money or postal orders, pre-paid phone cards, tickets (blank stock), traveller’s cheques, vouchers/tokens, unused stamps etc. Applicable to all shipments valued in excess of EUR 500,000
- Jewellery and watches and with individual values in excess of EUR 5,000. The shipment must not exceed EUR 100,000
If you want to know more about restrictions, contact our customer service team at 1800 285 8888 today!
Check out our comprehensive starting guide to help you get started.
We have 3 delivery/collection cycles every day.
A cycle: 10am – 1pm
B cycle: 3pm – 6pm
C cycle: 7pm – 9pm
Our On-Demand Delivery (ODD) service gives you 6 alternate delivery options for your convenience.
Learn more about ODD.
Volumetric weight measures the dimensions of your shipment to derive a weight. DHL Express will compare this and the actual weight of your shipment and select the higher of the two to use as final weight calculation.
First of all, we offer our sincere apologies for this unfortunate incident.
Please lodge a claim by contacting DHL customer service team.
This has to be done within 30 days from the date DHL Express accepts the shipment.
We recommend that you read up on DHL shipment insurance to understand how compensation and coverage works.
Our transit times are optimized to be delivered in the quickest time possible. In most cases, if the shipment arrives early, we will send it out for delivery earlier than what was estimated.
However, we do understand that some shipments need special attention and are more urgent than others.
We offer 3 time-definite services:
- Delivery before 9:00am
- Delivery before 10:30am
- Delivery before 12pm
You should check with our customer service team if the country you are shipping to is eligible for these services. Surcharges apply.
Find out which DHL Express product suits your needs best.
In the rare event where you need courier service within the same day, DHL Express offers Same Day Service (SDS).
There will be a processing fee of SGD 30. We will retrieve the shipment and send it back to you on a best effort basis.
QUOTATION & BILLING
If you are a non-account customer, you have the option of paying by credit card or debit card when you arrange for a shipment with MyDHL+ or when contacting our customer service. You can pay in cash when you are self-lodging your shipment.
If you are an account customer, you have the same options of payment but you will be eligible to use our MyBill (electronic billing) portal, electronic fund transfer, AXS, cheque, PayNow or direct debit – a form of automatic GIRO payment.
Eligible to account customers only, you can visit DHL MyBill to sign-up.
After signing up, you will receive an update from our finance team within 24 hours on the status of your registration. Once your account has been activated, you will be notified and you can proceed to log in.
You have to be an account customer to apply for direct debit. Fill in this application form and send it to:
DHL Express (Singapore) Pte Ltd
Level 5, No. 1 Tai Seng Drive
If you prefer to speak to our experts, you can call our finance department at 6880 6405. This hotline operates from 0900 – 1800hrs, Monday to Friday. Alternatively, you can call our toll-free customer service hotline at 1800 285 8888, available 24/7.
A breakdown of the key highlights of DHL MyBill:
- Receive email notifications for new invoices
- Review all historical payments
- Generate customized reports on your billings
- Query and dispute invoices
- Secure payment by eNets or PayNow
- Easy organization, reducing the need for physical invoices
- No additional charges
If you have a MyBill account, go to “My Account” and click “Me”, and select the option to dispute the invoice. If you do not have a MyBill account, you can contact our finance at 6880 6405.
Our system will mail you reminder letters or you will be contacted by our finance team.
Unless otherwise agreed, credit terms for freight is 30 days and credit term for duties and taxes is 7 days.
Typically, there are 2 reasons why you might be billed more.
- You did not indicate the accurate weight when creating your air waybill. All DHL Express shipments are subject to re-weigh, and if your shipment is heavier than what was originally declared, you will be billed the difference.
- You have incurred duties and taxes – you will need to pay for it before your shipment can clear customs.
Whether a shipment is a gift or not, it must still go through an import procedure as determined by custom's law in the destination country. The shipment is cleared through customs based on the origin country, value and quantity, but not its purpose.
Every country has their own taxation schemes for exporting and importing. For example, anything being imported in to Singapore that is valued above SGD 400 has to incur a 7% GST.
When your shipment incurs duties or taxes, the costs are usually borne by the receiver. There will be a set timeline to settle these fees if not your shipment might risk being delayed or in the worst case, confiscated by customs.
It is recommended that you read up thoroughly on the customs requirements of countries that you plan to export to prior to shipping. Similarly, it is important that you know your country’s importing requirements when you are ordering something from overseas.
Typically, the receiver shoulders the payment of duties and taxes. DHL Express allows shippers to offer their receivers greater convenience by using their DHL account to cover duties and taxes for their shipments over at the destination country. This is known as “Duties & Taxes Paid (DTP)”. Commonly referred to in abbreviation as DTP, or DDP.
You should indicate this on your DHL AWB when creating your shipment.
First of all, your shipping invoice is NOT to be confused with your DHL Express bill, although both may be referred to as invoices.
As long as you are shipping a parcel, regardless of the purpose, you must produce a shipping invoice. The invoice is a supporting document that justifies the description of your air waybill, and verifies the value of your shipment. It is used by both DHL Express and customs departments to have a better understanding of your shipment.
Shipping documents with DHL Express do not require a shipping invoice.
DHL Express pays the GST on your behalf to facilitate the clearance of the shipments and a faster delivery. Our systems are integrated with Singapore customs, which enables us to offer this service. Advanced payment fees cannot be waived.
To get a refund, fill up the refund request form and submit the relevant documents. Our GST Helpdesk will review it and get back to you within 7 working days.
For re-declaration, submit the correct invoice to DHL Express for us to re-declare the shipment with Singapore customs. Re-declaration fees apply.