How to Send a Parcel From Singapore to Indonesia
Both Singapore and Indonesia are popular countries for both tourists and businesses. While the former is also known as Gateway to the East, the latter is a popular destination too. Moreover, with a flurry of activities with both migrants and locals, it is but natural for both countries to share trade relations. So, in case you are looking to ship a parcel from Singapore to Indonesia, we are here to guide you on all the rules, regulations, and procedures you need to follow.
Don’t worry you won’t have to go through a ton of information such as the price of a courier service, its transit time, shipping documents, the security of your shipment, and many other factors before you courier your parcel. Here at DHL Express shipping, we are making this process super simple for you. We believe in providing customers with end-to-end knowledge about the shipping process to any country without any hassle. So, if you’re looking forward to shipping important documents or goods from Singapore to Indonesia, then you’re at the right place.
Indonesia’s Customs Regulatory Changes
The Indonesian Customs Authorities will increase the requirements regarding data elements for Customs Clearance purposes. In order to get prepared and ensure compliance, we encourage our customers to ensure a high-quality data for shipments to and from Indonesia.
The new regulation clearly states that shippers should provide the Indonesian Tax ID Number (NPWP - Nomor Pokok Wajib Pajak) for the import and export shipments. This will take effect starting 1st August 2021.
The identification number requirement varies from businesses to private individuals.
For businesses, the companies within Indonesia must provide the Indonesian Tax ID Number (NPWP - Nomor Pokok Wajib Pajak) when importing or exporting.
For private individuals in Indonesia, they are required to provide the Indonesian Tax ID Number when importing or exporting or one of the alternative identification numbers as stated below:
- Indonesian ID Number (NIK - Nomor Induk Kependudukan) for Indonesian Nationals
- Indonesian Driver’s License for Indonesian nationals or foreigners
- Passport Number only for foreigners.
Please note: This is mandatory for all types of transactions like B2C, B2B, C2C, etc so ensure to give an authentic or valid Identification Number to DHL Express as this will be submitted to the Indonesian authorities.
How to avoid delays?
- Shippers should proactively identify the Indonesia’s Receiver Identification Number prior to shipping and provide it digitally to DHL via DHL Express’ Electronic Shipping Solutions while preparing their shipment.
- Provide a valid receiver’s contact information in Indonesia such as a phone number or email address.
- Provide complete and accurate commercial/ Pro-forma invoice data electronically through DHL Express’ Electronic Shipping Solutions, stating the itemised values, goods description, country of origin, etc.
• To avoid any unnecessary delays, ensure that shipper provides the Indonesia’s Receiver Identification Number. If any case the shipper does not provide it, DHL Express Indonesia will contact the Receiver (in Indonesia) to request the missing Identification Number required.
Things to know about shipping parcels
Mobile phones, accessories & component
- If you are importing mobile phones and its accessories, then only two devices are exempted from the licensing requirements. Importing more than two pieces is only allowed for a company that has a "Registered Importer" status of cellular phones including smartphone, handheld computer including PDA and palmtop. However, before shipping the sender must commence pre-inspection to get a surveyor certificate. Further, the company should also be acknowledged by the Indonesian Ministry of Trade by obtaining "Import Approval" and by the Indonesian Ministry of Industry by obtaining "Imported Product Registration Number", which is needed to provide the IMEI/MEID/ESN or MAC address.
Drugs: prescription & Foodstuffs
- For importing prescriptions and foodstuff like grain, an official distribution license and an import permit (FDA Permit) from the National Agency of Drug & Food Control (BPOM) is needed. The import permit is only valid for one entry per shipment.
- Provide a full description of medicine names.
- Import permit (FDA Permit) from the National Agency of Drug & Food Control (BPOM) is required. Import permit only valid for 1 (one) entry – per shipment.
- For sample use, companies need to register with the National Agency of Drug & Food Control (BPOM) to obtain SKI.
- Based on Regulation of Indonesian Ministry of Health No. 10/2003, Psychotropic importation is only eligible for pharmaceutical Industry, pharmaceutical Wholesalers or science institutions by obtaining an Import Approval Letter from Directorate General.
- Detailed breakdown of items must be clearly listed out in the invoice.
- For personal use, consignee must have a personal name (not company/ business entity) and Importer Statement letter (Perka POM) , Doctor’s Prescription & Proof of payment are required.
Seeds & Coffee
- If you are importing seeds or coffee including samples, then the consignee must need a quarantine permit from the Ministry of Agriculture.
Books (non-commercial use)
- If you’re sending prescriptions or books for non-commercial use, then you need to mention the details of the items with a proper breakdown on the invoice.
Plant products & Finished leather goods
- The consignee will need a quarantine permit from the Ministry of Agriculture, while the shipper will have to provide a Phytosanitary certificate when sending items like plants, plant products, or finished leather goods.
- Importing cosmetic products is prohibited in Indonesia regardless of its quantity, weight, value, and purpose of shipping. Further, any business entity importation of cosmetics is restricted and a permit from the National Agency of Drug & Food Control (BPOM) is needed. The consignee must apply for this permit.
- If you’re shipping x-ray machines, then you need to contact the destination prior to accepting any shipment for its licenses or permit necessities.
- Based on the regulation number - 199/PMK.010/2019, only 350 ml of alcoholic beverages are allowed and subject to a certain percent of import duty and VAT. More than that will be destroyed by the Indonesian customs.
For shipments 100kgs and above are required to undergo Formal Customs Clearance regardless of value. Terms of trade e.g. CIF, FOB, C&F, etc. are to be specified on the invoice for customs valuation. Consignee must be able to provide the below and without any of the below documentations, shipment will not be permitted for inbound into Indonesia unless consignee is located in a Free Trade Zone.
- Indonesian Tax Number (NPWP)
- Import Identification Number (API)
- Customs Registration Certificate (SRP)
- Original Power Attorney.
Shipments exceeding USD 1500 regardless of value must be cleared via formal entry and must have original paperwork unless the consignee is located in the Free Trade Zone area. Documents provided by shipper are Invoice or commercial Invoice with real value (Proforma Invoice is not allowed) and Packing list. Importations for shipments above USD 1500 is not allowed for any importer who doesn’t possess the below docs. Otherwise, shipment will be RTO (Return to Origins) or abandoned to customs Warehouse after 30 Calendar days. Documents required from consignee:
- Tax ID No (NPWP)
- Import ID No (API)
- Customs ID No (NIK)
Here’s how you can ship your parcel from Singapore to Indonesia
The shipping process is fairly methodical yet simple. If you follow the subsequent process in order, you should be able to send your parcel from Singapore to Indonesia easily. Here’s what you need to do:
The first thing you need to do is create an AWB followed by preparing your shipping invoice. It gives DHL Express as well as the customs officials a full overview of your shipment. For a smooth customs process, please ensure to put details and clear information on the invoice (product description, quantity, unit of measurement, currency, unit and total value, etc) and avoid using “sample” or any generic description. Otherwise, it will be flagged for further process by Custom (Inspection/Red Channel, etc) and incur a delay of 72-96 hours.
Note: For documents, general correspondence (business or private) Max weight is 10 kgs (22 lbs) otherwise ship as non-documents and a shipping invoice would be required
Once you have settled these requirements, carefully pack your own shipment to help prevent any damage during the journey. Finally, you can hand over your shipment to DHL Express. You can schedule the time and date of your parcel pickup, call our customer service or schedule a pickup from MyDHL + or drop it off at any DHL Express retail store near you. Once you hand over your shipment to us, you can easily track it using our tracking tool.
The many benefits of using DHL Express for shipping a parcel
Knowing Indonesia’s customs duty charges for each and every type of goods will prevent delays in the shipping process and reduce the risk of any additional costs. Take advantage of DHL Express shipping service that will make sure that your shipment crosses the border smoothly and efficiently. The best part is that DHL Express does the tedious work of customs clearance and completion of declarations on your behalf.
Here are some of the top advantages:
- A wide range of door-to-door international shipping services
- Shipping tools such as MyDHL+, MyBill, and ODD (On-Demand Delivery) are available that makes your shipping process easier and safer
- Real-time updates on your shipment’s status
- Flexible delivery options
- A network coverage spread over 220 countries and territories
If you wish to ship other items that aren’t mentioned above from Singapore to Indonesia, contact our Certified International Specialist. Be rest assured that your shipment will reach the destination seamlessly and in perfect condition.
Hi i have a friend in Indosia, can i send her chocolates from Singapore? Like KitKat and stuff? And packaged stuff like potato chips like Pringles and Nuts? Please let me know. Thanks
What are the procedures to send parcel to indonesia. How to get dhl boxes for packing.
I would like to send used items like phone and some clothing .
Mohammad Wasis Suryo Adi
Hi, I want to send a brand new laptop to Jakarta, what's the process and how much roughly it will cost ?
ANIL SHAHOOD ABDUL RAZAK
Hi, I want to delivery some clothings to my relatives in Indonesia. But not sure how to go about and how much do I need to pay? Thanks.
Hi, May i send honey 1kg to Indonesia?